16 Best Things to Do for Free in Edinburgh
1. Take a self-guided walking tour to admire the architecture in the Old Town and New Town.
2. Take a hike to Arthur’s Seat for a stunning panoramic view of the city.
3. Enjoy a breathtaking view of Arthur’s Seat, the Castle, Holyrood, and New Town among others at Calton Hill.
4. Take a stroll or go for a bike ride at the Water of Leith Walkway.
5. Learn about Scottish politics and its history by taking a tour of the Scottish Royal Parliament for free.
6. Go for the Sandemans New Edinburgh daily free tours of the Old Town.
7. Explore St Giles Cathedral.
8. Enjoy the scenery at the Princes Street Gardens.
9. Visit the National Museum of Scotland and see its wide collection of artifacts from around the world. Climb up the roof terrace to get a good view of the Old Town.
10. Check out the museums like the Edinburgh Writers Museum and Museum of Childhood at the Royal Mile.
11. Meander along the Royal Mile and take the time to explore the many interesting attractions in the area.
12. Watch the free performances and other entertainments during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August.
13. Hop on the Gallery Bus to explore the city’s art galleries.
14. Visit Greyfriar’s Kirkyard and see the tombs of some famous Scots like Allan Ramsay, Henry Mackenzie, and James Craig as well as the loyal Skye Terrier best known as the Greyfriars Bobby
15. Head out to Candlemaker’s Row to see the statue of Greyfriars Bobby.
16. Experience a magical walking tour of the Potter Trail with a robed guide.